Monday, September 22, 2014

La Bastille

I'm ashamed to admit that in the past few days I haven't done much besides go food shopping and sleep, but today was the day I finally got my butt on the tram and went into the city.
The people I live with told me Grenoble itself isn't the most interesting city. True, architecturally it's not as striking as other European cities, but I like it. It makes it less pretentious, less...imposing. What really makes the area special, though, are the surrounding mountains. Grenoble itself is flat, so you see them constantly. 

The main attraction here is the climb up to the Bastille, an old fortress built in the 16th century. I hadn't planning on climbing up it today, but I didn't really know where I was going and then I got distracted and somehow I ended up going up a hill that led to the hike. 

It. Was. Fantastic. The view was absolutely beautiful the whole way up. I couldn't stop gaping. What's amazing is how close it is to the city. Like...it's IN the city. I mean we have great hikes near Seattle, but you have to drive an hour out before you reach them. Anyways, less words, more photos:

:D No shame, sushi avant croissants 





Some Robert Frost stuff right here























No comments:

Post a Comment