Sunday, February 22, 2015

Spain Part 4: Where We Saw Segovia, Stood Under a 2000-Year-Old Thing, and Got Slightly Bored

Ewelina and I took one more day trip out of Madrid to Segovia. Segovia was cute, but beyond the aqueduct and the Alcazar there wasn't much to see. We even ended up exchanging our tickets for earlier ones at the end of the day. That being said, I can't say I regret going, it definitely had its nice areas. And the weather was really, really nice, so I didn't mind aimlessly wandering around in the sun. 

The aqueduct of Segovia is the main historical feature of the city. Wikipedia, go: "Dating from the late 1st or early 2nd century CE, it is acknowledged as the most important Roman civil engineering work in Spain, it consists of about 25,000 granite blocks held together without any mortar, and spans 818 meters with more than 170 arches, the highest being 29 meters high."    

I give you... aqueduct!: 








Main cathedral of the city. We didn't end up going in, I think it was the price. I don't mind, I googled it and it doesn't look too amazing on the inside. The outside is pretty impressive though

Some political sticker. I remember when I was in Barcelona last year there were separatist flags EVERYWHERE. Here, I found the opposite. Interesting contrast. 
This is their specialty. A baby pig. A BABY pig. That's all kind of gross. Do you see everyone grimacing in the reflection? 

We decided to go into the Alcazar of Segovia (Segovia Castle). Once again, Wikipedia, it's late, I'm tired, you take over: "The Alcázar was originally built as a fortress but has served as a royal palace, a state prison, a Royal Artillery College and a military academy since then. It is currently used as a museum and a military archives building....The Alcázar of Segovia, like many fortifications in Spain, started off as an Arab fort, which itself was built on a Roman fort but little of that structure remains."

The ceilings in the rooms were really impressive, and the views outside the windows were spectacular.















Yes, reading is sexy


No comments:

Post a Comment